GMANews.TV – Tuesday, February 8
Malacañang condoled Tuesday with the family of the late former Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes, even as it appealed to the public to refrain from speculations on his death and allow Reyes’ family some privacy.
Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office Secretary Ramon Carandang also said they are leaving to the Defense Department and Armed Forces of the Philippines on whether to give Reyes full military honors.
“First of all, we express our condolences to (the family of) Reyes … Ang panawagan namin, bigyan ng pagkakataon ang pamilya mag-grieve, give them some privacy now (First of all, we express our condolences to Reyes’ family. Our appeal is to allow his family time and privacy to grieve),” Carandang said in an interview on dzBB radio.
In a text message, presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said: “The government wishes to express its condolences to the family of General Angelo Reyes. we urge the public to allow his loved ones their grief and privacy.”
This page requires a higher version browser
For his part, Executive Secretary Pauito Ochoa Jr. said: “It’s very unfortunate and sad that it has come to this point. We condole with his family.”
Reyes was taken to the Quirino Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City after sustaining a gunshot would in the chest. He was declared dead at 8:32 a.m.
The former defense secretary had been linked to “pabaon,” one of the questionable practices at the Armed Forces of the Philippines. — with Amita Legaspi/RSJ, GMA News