MANILA – San Miguel Corporation said Sunday it will give full-time pay to its workforce during the enhanced community quarantine period.
The company said it has released over P3 billion for its 66,557 employees, consultants and contract workers as Luzon and other areas in the Visayas and Mindanao are placed on lockdown to slow the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
“These are trying times and while we, as a company, are not immune to the challenges of this crisis, the safety and security of our workforce will always come first. We do not want them worrying about their jobs,” SMC president and COO Ramon S. Ang said in a statement.
Ang urged his employees to “continue to adopt our malasakit mindset” and focus on what they “can do to make a difference, because many are counting on us.”
“I am truly proud of the hard work that you, most especially our front liners, have been doing in the midst of the challenges: delivering essential goods and services that are critical in this battle,” he said.
The firm added that it has also remitted to government P8.77 billion out of P11.67 billion in tax, concession and contractual payments despite an amnesty offer.
“We are also aware that we have a huge role to play across industries and we are lucky to be more equipped than the rest to navigate this crisis. That said, we remain steadfast in our commitment to assist government and continue providing assistance where it’s most needed,” Ang said.
San Miguel said it has so far provided some P1 billion worth of aid in the form of food and cash among others. It earlier waived toll for frontliners, donated some P500 million worth of protective gear for healthworkers, and built quarantine facilities in coordination with government.